Phuket City Municipality witnessing smoke from fresh market on Ranong Road this morning as it was not signing alarm, soon officials held their first fire drill since the market opened on September last year. Up 150 market vendors and others took part in this drill at about 10:30 AM for mass evacuation. Fire came from leaky cooking gas tube.
The exercise at first allowed officers to extinguish the fire with extinguisher but failed. Pretending the fire was getting bigger, he called 199 to bring Phuket City fire brigade. “We are preparing ourselves for fire in this market as there are more than 400 vendors daily,” said Tawatchai Thongmung, Chief Administrative Officer (Palad) at Phuket City Municipality.
The most risky area was the basement where vendors using this level for cooking, said him. The fire drill today will be annual exercise, he added. Theerapong Iam-Anancharoen, president of vendor association at this market said he were welcoming this exercise. “We did not want this accident happen but we had electrical short circuits and LPG gas leak. Thanked to the fire brigade, they were quickly solving this problem,” said him. “Further we should know what to do in fires and how to use fire extinguishers. Vendors should able to tell customers where the exit doors quickly to reduce injured victims,” said Mr Theerapong.
News by Phuket Gazette